Friday, January 12

Super Sons - Vol.1 When I Grow Up


So here is DC Rebirth an event that I have no awareness of as I haven't been able to keep up with my comics for a few years now due to costs mainly. So this is all new to me and as this is a re-boot/rebirth I am not sure how much of this is just as new for other readers. I did hear that Damien Wayne, aka Robin the Boy Wonder had been killed. I think I heard it on a podcast, maybe Fatman on Batman. Well he's not dead now, I am not sure if in this reality he ever died or not? Comics continuity is difficult enough when you are caught up with things but dipping back into it after a prolonged period away can be quite irksome. I want to know everything my comic geekiness needs to know, but I have to resist the pull, my wallet demands it! Also it now appears that Clark Kent, Superman and Lois Lane had a son. Jon Kent is now 10 years old and has I suppose a 10 year old, half Kryptonian's powers. He seems pretty strong and quick, but he can't fly. He jumps around, much like Superman did in the original stories. I am not sure if his powers will increase as he gets older and his solar battery body soaks up more of the suns rays.

13 year old teenager Damien is an insufferable little git. There I've said it. He's got all the arrogance of Batman but rather than being taciturn about it he bellows it from the highest rooftops practically. He is so full of himself and how good he is at everything and is quite happy to belittle his companions that you might find it hard to like him. Jonathon Kent is younger and has been quite closeted by his parents and is cajoled/fooled into going on a mission with Robin. As a starting story for a new comic it is all about setting up the dynamic between the boys and their parents. The boys are breaking their curfews, Jon was put to bed at 9pm and Damien was ordered not to go on patrol as he hadn't done the studying he was meant to. So they are being naughty children, setting up that typical sidekicks doing if for themselves followed by getting caught conflict. The main story telling is about the interaction between the boys themselves and as Robin states often, they are not friends. They come to blows a couple of times, (although once may have been a ruse to trick an enemy), and bicker for the rest of it. They manage to spend enough time battling the enemies though thankfully and win in the end but don't really seem that much more of a partnership, but hey their father's distrusted each other at first and look what friends they are now. Saying that though this is a new universe and I don't think they are quite at the friendship levels they were previously. These reboots get confusing eh? This may not quite be the start of a beautiful friendship exactly but it's a very early step on the way which I am sure will unfold as the months go by. I've always liked Superboy and Robin comics in the past but these are new guys to me. I never even knew Clark had a son and Damien is almost an unknown to me too and frankly he's a horrible little monster so it will be interesting to see how and if they start to gel.



No comments:

My wants list

I just thought I'd put this online so I can check it on my phone if I ever need to. Also if anyone is looking to trade or anything. ...